Sunday, October 2, 2016

The PANdora's Box .. October 1, 2016



 I had a dream .. of having a PAN card, and the dream is finally fulfilled!

For the uninitiated, PAN stands for Permanent Account Number, the Govt. of India equivalent of the US Social Security Number.

As a non-voting, overseas citizen of India, I became privileged to have the card some time ago, and it was earlier this year that I decided to bite the bullet. That I could apply online, fulfill the requirements remotely and get the card delivered by mail was definitely a catalyst.

Having confirmed the website where one can apply and being sure that I have all supporting documents, my wife and I decided to go for it. We now look to the past few months with sheer amusement.

The first challenge was to pick one from many PAN card offices which will process the application - the factors being: the first letter of your last name (which is unambiguous), the location in India of the accounting office (no good decision criterion, could be the place of my birth, or location where I lived 35 years ago, or any other), and your application status (reasonably unambiguous).

My wife applied first. She has the added complication of a "maiden name". The name has to be preceded by a title - Kum(ari) for Ms, Smt (abbreviation of Shrimati) for Mrs. She chose Ms for her maiden name and Mrs for her current name. The form complained about a "title mismatch" and made her enter several fields again. The issue was resolved when she accepted her youth by titling herself Kum (Ms) for her current status. I shudder to imagine what an individual with a gender change would do!

The third challenge was with the online payment of the fees. The form claimed to accept common credit cards, but all my US-based credit cards did not work. One of my India-based friends offered to help out, and processed the payment successfully with his India-based credit card.

Photographs were taken, the printed version of the online application and supporting documents were mailed in. We received prompt email responses about the application having been received, and that the application was under review, and that we would be intimated (common Indian English term for "notified") in three working days. The notifications did not come in exactly three working days, but that is understandable.

My wife received the a notification - that there was a mismatch between her name on her passport and the bank statement (which was provided as a proof of address) - her bank statement did not have her middle name. This was easy to address - she opened a new bank account including her middle name, received a bank statement, and mailed it in. The application was deemed complete, and she received her PAN card!

The notification that I received said that my photograph was not good. The reason provided was: "bent/ not clear/ ..." Not sure what the exact reason was, I took another photograph and mailed it in. A few weeks later, I received the same response for the second photograph. Then, with the third photograph, and again with the fourth! The notification email did have an email address to send inquiries - so, I did. At that time, the office replied that my eye was not visible. I could clearly see both my eyes in the photograph. I showed it to family and friends, and they looked into my eyes (in the photograph) as well and could see them clearly. I sent the same photograph back to the PAN office mentioning that I could clearly see my eyes and that I am at a loss as to how to comply with the issue they found with my photograph.

Within a few days, I received a notification that the photograph was in good order, and the card would be issued. Another few weeks, and the card arrived in the mail!

I am now a proud PAN card holder. It came with some good life lessons that I had previously heard from the Dalai Lama:
  1. It doesn't help to be upset. Separate life issues into two categories - those that you can do something about, and those you cannot. Then do whatever about the ones you can do something about.
  2. Patience is a virtue. "This, too, shall pass" is a good stance to take, without feeling one is a victim of circumstances.
  3. Amuse yourself. To this day, I chuckle at the possibility of a secret admirer in the PAN card office who likes to post my photographs on her office wall and keeps looking into my eyes!

4 comments:

Spontaneous thoughts recollected in tranquility said...

Good chronological account of the saga. I liked the life lessons - the last one brings to memory several Hindi songs based on "aankhe" :-)

Rohini said...

Wow. Secret admirer! Positive attitude is a great thing! Ha ha

Unknown said...

Aseem, at least they did not fail you for a photograph without hair ��. Look at the bright (shiny) side.

Unknown said...

Aseem, aren't you glad that you were not asked to produce a picture with hair on your head? Look at the bright (shiny) side 😀