Thursday, September 30, 2021

Dating a Skeptic ... 2021


It is rare to find a poem that addresses a skeptic/atheist. I came across a delightful one in Marathi (see at the bottom of this post), and had fun translating it into English.

Dating a Skeptic

Though you're a skeptic
I drag you to the temple
And you come along
Just for my satisfaction

I do the rituals
With offerings to the altar
While you give alms
To beggars at the entrance

I strive to get ahead
For a good view of the altar
While you relish the beauty
Of the temple architecture

Annoyingly I nudge you
To bow your head in reverence
While you are busy enjoying
The tranquility of the temple

I worry about the footwear
We had to leave outside the door
You say, "A needy one may take them"
And we can walk barefoot home

I wonder who's the one
To be blessed by my god
The believer in me, or
The skeptic in you

The Marathi original (poet unknown):

तू नास्तिक असूनही तुला
दर्शनाला नेणारी मी
माझ्या इच्छेखातर
येणारा तू

हारफुलांचा भाव करत
ताट घेणारी मी,
दारातल्या भिक्षुकांना
मदत करणारा तू

रांगेत पुढे जाण्यासाठी
धडपडणारी मी,
देवळाची सुबकता
न्याहाळणारा तू

चिडून नमस्कारासाठी
तुला खुणावणारी मी,
देवळातील प्रसन्नता
अनुभवणारा तू

देवळातही चपलेची
काळजी करणारी मी,
गरजूने नेली असेल
म्हणून अनवाणी चालत निघालेला तू

खरंच....देव नक्की कुणाला पावत असेल?
माझ्यासारख्या आस्तिकाला...
की तुझ्यासारख्या नास्तिकाला....?

3 comments:

Aarti said...

Loved this one!!

Rohini said...

Describes Aseem to a T! I can relate to each paragraph.

CameraCrazy said...

This surely tells me something about both of you that I did not know..!! 😀