Saturday, December 29, 2018

Life's Story ...2018

It had been on my mind to translate into English a ghazal popularized by Talat Aziz and Hariharan. So, here it goes, with significant translation liberties, as I didn't like the accusatory tone in some verses of the original.

Translation:


Walk with me, and I’ll tell you the story of my life
What my eyes didn’t tell you, I’ll tell you with my voice

     When your lips shall adorn a flower-like smile
     I’ll whisper in your ears what I’ve wanted to say for a while

I’ve failed to get across my feelings of love and passion
So I’ll tell you a friend’s story, but it will really be mine

     The world is cruel; typhoons, storms and hurricanes in my mind
     “Is he disturbed?”, the world will say, “Nah, just his youthful prank”


Original by Ibrahim Ashq:


कुछ दूर हमारे साथ चलो हम दिल की कहानी कह देंगे
समझे न जिसे तुम आँखों से वो बात ज़बानी कह देंगे

फूलों की तरह जब होंठों पर इक शोख़ तबस्सुम बिखरेगा
धीरे से तुम्हारे कानों में इक बात पुरानी कह देंगे

इज़हार-ए-वफ़ा तुम क्या समझो इक़रार-ए-वफ़ा तुम क्या जानो
हम ज़िक्र करेंगे ग़ैरों का और अपनी कहानी कह देंगे

मौसम तो बड़ा ही ज़ालिम है तूफ़ान उठाता रहता है
कुछ लोग मगर इस हलचल को बदमस्त जवानी कह देंगे