Saturday, December 29, 2018

That's for another day ... 2018



I am on a translation spree today, so here's another popular Ghulam Ali's ... translated with deliberate liberties

दिल की चोटों ने कभी चैन से रहने दिया
जब चली सर्द हवा मैंने तुझे याद किया

Wounds of my heart didn’t let me rest in peace
Your memories come alive with every cool breeze

इसका रोना नहीं क्यों तुमने किया दिल बरबाद
इसका ग़म है कि बहुत देर में बरबाद किया

Am not lamenting why you broke my heart
My agony is that you took so long to do it

---------------------------------------------------
हमको किसके ग़म ने मारा, ये कहानी फिर सही
किसने तोड़ा दिल हमारा, ये कहानी फिर सही

Whose agony destroyed me; that’s for another day
Who was the one who broke my heart; that’s for another day

दिल के लुटने का सबब पूछो सबके सामने
नाम आएगा तुम्हारा, ये कहानी फिर सही

Don’t ask me in a crowd the cause of my heart-break
I’ll have to mention your name; that’s for another day

नफ़रतों के तीर खाकर दोस्तों के शहर में
हमने किस-किस को पुकारा, ये कहानी फिर सही

Fielding arrows of hatred in the city of friends
Who all did I seek out; that’s for another day

क्या बताएँ प्यार की बाज़ी वफ़ा की राह में
कौन जीता कौन हारा, ये कहानी फिर सही

What can I say about love and loyalty?
Who won and who lost; that’s for another day

No comments: