Wednesday, June 23, 2021

Emptying the Mind ... 2021

 

There is much discussed about mindfulness, self-awareness, meditation, emotion-control, and variants. The irony is that all these journeys are long - sometimes, life-long. It seems that people get trapped in these journeys and the distinction between the journey and the destination seems blurred. Taking away all the jargon, the journey seems to be to achieve thoughtful detachment and equanimity - where one can be unaffected by the environs, and managing excitement within a narrow band.

While not denying the benefits that accrue from such efforts, I am looking for a high "return on investment" strategy so one can reach a reasonably good state of emotional peace in a reasonably short period of time (this being the "investment" or "costs" phase), so the benefits can be reaped in the remainder of ones life (this being the "returns" or "benefits" phase). Some argue that this is impossible - I tend to disagree. Some argue that this is very difficult - this opens up the challenge to achieve it with less difficulty and in less time.

As an avid fan of Urdu poetry, I have listened to this ghazal from a Hindi movie, sung by Jagjit Singh - from which I quote its most insightful verse:

aaj phir dil ne ek tamannaa kee
aaj phir dil ko hum ne samjhaayaa

Today, yet again my heart desired
Today, yet again I pacified my heart

It is natural for the heart (really, the mind) to desire. And in getting better and better at pacifying the heart, one can learn to brush off the desires with less and less effort. Soon, one would be able to anticipate the desires and nip them in the bud.

Thus, my journey begins - but with a near-term end in sight, so I can enjoy the maximum time at the destination!

3 comments:

Bhal Shrikhande said...

Aseem, You have touched upon a very profound philosophy. Mindful detachment, enjoying everything but not lusting, etc etc is something so desirable.
Bhagwan Shrikrishna says in Geeta, "sukhadukhe same krutva labhalabahu jayajayau"
when the lakshan of a shtitapradnya purush is described.
Speaking for me, I have a simple thought which works to calm down raised emotions. I ask myself in such situations, "SO WHAT?"....
warm regards

SatyenH said...

“He lived in quiet subtext, never speaking aloud what he felt.” This is a line from a poem a friend wrote that I wish I had written. This is what I experience whenever I try to still my heart, whether from desire, from rage, from grief or even from happiness.

Aarti said...

I like the idea that it shouldn't take too many experiences or too long a time to get there. Once you know it, it would become easier and quicker.